Does being Multi-Talented or Jack of all work ??

Posted In: IT Consulting

• Jason Fuller
    Participant
    Jason Fuller on #901

These days I hear a lot about full stack, half stack or multi-talent resources in my company. Would it be helpful if one goes in for a skill upgrade or new certifications in multiple fields or platforms. Like I hear a lot about cloud computing these days. Would it be beneficial to know multiple platforms?

• This topic was modified 5 months ago by Shilpi Kaul shilpi kaul.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Shilpi Kaul shilpi kaul.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Shilpi Kaul shilpi kaul.
    Itstaffing
    Keymaster
    itstaffing on #902

Being multi-talented is definitely a good thing to be these days. Its been always true that an all-rounder is always appreciated. But if you are targeting cloud computing or cloud services based job industry you will need to keep a few things in mind.

Cloud industry has a demand for people with multiple skill sets but this requirement varies according to what kind of services a certain company is offering or what type of infrastructure it is running.

The multi-talented skill set holds true in a vertical scenario rather than horizontal. That means it is good if you have some coding/programming skills, some network, some server computing, some cloud and some inter-personal skills also. Such a mix of talent is something which works well in the present DevOps environment.

Being trained in all three platforms like Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud etc is a multi talented skill which no company or very few will require, as there will be very few who will be using all three at the same time. So this kind of skill set will not be of much use.

I think you got an idea. I hope it helps.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Shilpi Kaul shilpi kaul.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Shilpi Kaul shilpi kaul.
    Susan Lee
    Participant
    Susan Lee on #903

That was a good insight into Cloud Computing. Thanks.

I have one query. By “inter personal” skills you mean HR skills or general day to day communication skills. I mean should one be a certified HR personnel or its just something one possesses naturally.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Shilpi Kaul shilpi kaul.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.